TimeMachine is usually the backup utility of choice for most Mac users but it doesn't always cater to the needs of those that need something a bit more flexible.
Get Backup attempts to plug this gap as a tool that's suitable for both beginners and those with more professional backup needs. Everything from customized backups to automated backups is possible with Get Backup and it allows you to compress backups into something more manageable with a series of powerful compression tools. This enables you to backup more information but take up less disk space than normal.
The key characteristic of Get Backup is simplicity. The program makes it extremely simple to backup files from any application. You're given a selection of applications across the top of the Get Backup interface that you can drag into the main interface to backup. It only seems to feature a small selection of applications such as Mail and iPhoto however although you can browse to find absolutely any application you need.
Once you've selected the apps you want to backup, you can browse them in more detail, selecting and deselecting those files you want to backup. In the preferences, you can choose exactly how to backup - if you want you can limit backups to the size of a CD or DVD for example, and you can schedule backups.
Get Backup is an extremely simple but powerful backup software that performs backups quickly, efficiently and with maximum control.
- Added the ability to save your admin password in Keychain to allow Get Backup to launch backup, synchronization, and cloning processes automatically. This option can be found in the program preferences.
- Introduced the ability to skip a scheduled process when a network or external disk is not accessible.
- Added the option to disable the warning dialog at the start of a cloning project to help automate scheduled cloning.
- Mac OS X 10.7 Lion is now supported.
- Improved German localization.